How Do I Set Up My Own Utilities?

At University Edge, we cover water and trash for all studio apartments. However, in an effort to keep rent as low as possible, trash is the only service provided at every location.

Ameren of Illinois (Electricity):

To set up electricity, you must use Ameren of Illinois. You may set up an account with Ameren via phone at 1-800-755-5000 or online here.

To ensure electricity is on in your apartment upon your move-in, we recommend contacting Ameren at least one week before your move-in date–as Ameren is very busy at the beginning of the semesters.

If you need help setting up your electricity through Ameren, contact Ameren Customer Support. They will guide you through all the steps of creating an account through Ameren’s website.


Explore Carbondale (Water):

To set up water, you must use the City of Carbondale.  You can visit the Carbondale Civic Center in person or go online to create a new account. You’ll need to upload a photo ID and pay a $100 deposit for water connection.

If you need assistance, you can call or visit the Carbondale Civic Center (618) 457-3209,  200 S Illinois Ave, Carbondale, IL 62901. 


Frontier & Mediacom (Internet):

You have two choices of internet providers: Frontier and Mediacom. Frontier is a DSL internet provider (this provides a good connection for light online activity). Mediacom is an internet/cable/phone provider that delivers service via coaxial cable (this provides a better connection for heavy online activity).

You may set up a Frontier account via phone at (618) 997-1062 or online here.

You may set up a Mediacom account via phone at 1-855-633-4226 or online here.

All University Edge properties are equipped for both DSL and coaxial cable. Mediacom will need to enter your apartment to install a router which comes with a one-time installation fee. Visit their website or give them a call to ask about pricing. 


If you have any other questions about utilities, contact University Edge and we’ll be happy to help!